Thursday 12 June 2008

The first moment at work, The moment when I realized I loved being an American, and other moments throughout the past four days

I didn't turn iChat on because I'm so damn intent on getting this entry up tonight.

So I woke up Monday morning at 7:30 to get ready for my 8:37 train ride into central London. Showered, etc. Dressed pretty snazzy, figured I'd even be underdressed for one of the most respected fashion mags in the world. Met Lizelle at the last minute for the train. We made it in. Had to stop for flowers for the new deputy editor, Sarah Bailey (previous of UK Elle and US Harper's). (We spent well over $100 on those flowers.) Got to the office, met everyone. Met my supervisor, Stephen, and he was in jeans and a gingham shirt. Fabulous. My task for the day was preparing returns of the various clothing pieces they had borrowed for shoots. I had a cupboard full of clothes to sort into various bags and either a) send out if the location was more than a mile away or b) return myself on foot. Armed with bags in each hand and my A to Z London, I set out. I visited Banana Republic, Karla Otto and I can't remember the other for the life of me really. After ten minutes, my Kenneth Coles were killing my feet. I had a pedicure before I came over and the girl sanded off my calluses. BAD IDEA. Stopping at each fashion house, though, I'd find my way in and simply drop off the bag with a, "This is a return from Harper's Bazaar," really just for my own self-validation that the task wasn't mindless. Returned to the office a bit after 5:30. Prepared some magazines to send out to various requesters. Oh, I forgot the most enlightening part of my day – sorting the mail. Two huge mail sacks from the weekend. Lots of mail to a company that was in the Top 10 Environmentally-Friendly UK Companies last year.

Anyway, after work, I met James. We had been chatting online for a few days, and we were going to hang out. (Mind you, I was going on 9 hours in those shoes. No end in sight really.) We walked to a small hole in the wall place called Trash Palace for free sample night. It was a cute lounge type joint. Great for just talking and getting to know one another, which we did. I had a tiny cosmo for about $10. The glass was smaller than my fist, but it was OK. After there for a few hours, we sent out on our walking. Stopped at two record stores. Saw Trafalgar Square and James told me the story of Napoleon's stand. James' boyfriend joined us at that point. We walked over the South End, I think, and then over to Tower Bridge (the famous one). Saw some amazing architecture over there. Loved all of it. Had a drink with both of them before heading the train home. Some fruity passion fruit thing. Got home and crashed really. Such a long day.

Tuesday I wore jeans and a t-shirt. Got to work. Mail. Did some research for Stephen. Then it was back out for more returns. This time with Google Map directions, not realizing that they're optimized for driving, so I ended up getting lost and walking in circles really. I think it was after standing a block away from my destination for more than half an hour not knowing where to go (or realizing really) that I finally cracked. I just missed America. I hated London. I wanted to scream. Harper's was just like any another magazine, I told myself. I wouldn't go back the next day, and no one would really care. I found the store I was searching for, made my return and set off back to the office, putting on my headphones to drown out all the thoughts in my head. I saw a Calvin Klein Underwear Store and my eyes were probably huge. My mood was suddenly alleviated. I entered and selected the Cutest pair. Took them to the register, and I couldn't pay. Because my bank card wasn't signed and I had no photo I.D. My hatred for London was back. I stormed back to the office. Left with Lizelle. Got home and had dinner. Retreated and wrote my first blog entry. Went out to meet another guy, Em, for a little fun. ;) He lived in some really amazing "dorms" (at $1200/month) and is getting his master's here. We had fun, indeed. But later that night, I just broke down with homesickness. I realized that I love being American, no matter how much I really never felt that was anything to be proud of. Our currency sucks, but shit, I can buy so much with it compared to other places. What we are doing wrong I love. I felt so hypocritical, and I thought about calling Continental to move my flight up a week and a half. Cried my tired ass to sleep Tuesday. It was pretty rough. Alanis' "Not as We" and "Limbo No More" from her new Flavors of Entanglement was not the best thing to be crying to - very emotional songs.

Got up Wednesday with a clear mind. Got to work. Mail. Finished returns to the five last stores with a self-crafted route. Only got lost once, and I slipped in a Borders to check a map as I had lost mine (found it tonight at home). Got those done. Came back in the afternoon and helped Stephen with some research. My new task was to organize the book cupboard. Harper's gets copies of books to review. A whole closetful. Realized that there were very old books. Organized June - October 2008 by shelf and then collected the rest into two boxes. We'll be having a book sale at work tomorrow that I'm in charge of. I have my own pile set aside already that I get for free for being a "features staff member." Nice. I'll post some links of them when I get them home tomorrow night/if I remember enough bags to carry them. Stopped for ice cream after work. Dinner at home. Spent a night in. So tired. My feet still were killing me. Got some work done on Fusion, I think. Tried to get to bed earlier, but to no avail.

Today was the first day I woke up and was excited for my day really, aside from Monday. Got to work and finished the books after the mail. (I got strawberries and cream at Starbucks for breakfast. :) ) Had to run to pickup an elicit issue of Vogue from the Vogue House for Stephen. "Don't say you're from Harper's Bazaar," we're my discreet instructions. Lucy (editor) needed it for something. Hush Hush, indeed. Got back and had to make some photo calls for a feature on Estee Lauder's granddaughter, Aerin. A list of her favorite things. Called Estee Lauder, some boutiques here and in the U.S. Lizelle and I went out for lunch and got both McDonald's and Burger King. No better way to cure homesickness really. I was not dressed for the weather today. It was cooler with showers. Anyway, we get back to the office and eat. Then I don't really remember what much I did today. We concluded the afternoon with champagne to celebrate Sarah's appointment. Then I met James - after the boyfriend broke up with him earlier. (I still hope I had not much to do with that...) We met up at the National Portrait Gallery and saw the whole free section. From early England up to very modern pieces, it was intriguing. I tend to love portraits. Quite lovely. Then I wanted to see the Houses of Parliament and he walked me over that way. I went to some amazing cheaper than H&M shop that I MUST return to get clothing before I come home. (Seriously, $22 for cute skinny jeans. DUH.) Then we went and sat at Hyde Park and gossiped about Star Trek, as he is a sci-fi geek and I happened to have seen most of the 3rd to 7th seasons. Le sign. It's true. From Harper's to Star Trek? I'm pretty sure I have a bit of a British crush, but I'll elaborate on that in next week's column, so be sure to check out the Summer Kent Stater or my Facebook for it.

As I sit here finishing my prepackaged tomato and mozzarella salad, croissant and lemon lime water, listening to new Coldplay and the Ting Tings debut, I'm feeling quite British. Ready for my last day of work this week, a nice relaxing evening tomorrow and excited for everything next week of being abroad will bring. I'm almost certain I will cry on the plane, maybe not as hard as I did wanting to be there this past week, but nonetheless – I will truly miss everything I've learned, everyone I've met and the times I've had here, even thus far.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A British boy toy seems in order. I am quite jealous, and would undoubtedly indulge endlessly if I was in your same position.

Enjoy the rest of your stay. I hope to pick your brain a bit afterwards about the finer things across the pond.

Suburban Sweetheart said...

LOVE ME SOME TING TINGS. Debut is stellar, no?

best of luck in London, love.